New safety specs

Started by Moira HFG, June 07, 2013, 12:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moira HFG

Could someone please advise me on safety specs? I've been making do with a pair of 'economy' didys with the sidepieces mangled to fit around my specs. They work, but are a grim sight, and I need to practically tie them to my head to keep them in place.

I'd like a decent pair of fit-overs, mostly for soft glass but I'd like to be able to dabble in boro without blinding myself.
I've read a lot of useful stuff on the subject, but I'm still not sure what to get, and where to buy it from - ideally in the uk.

Thanks!

Kimster

Can't help with the specs Moira, but I went from the economy fit overs, to more expensive clip ons, to a screen, and I find the screen easily the best option - it's brilliant! Its so good to just wear one pair of normal glasses! I know some people get on really well with the clip ons, but I didn't, & had to return them to Martin to be re assembled as I broke them trying to get them off my glasses - twice!! Is there any way you can try different glasses before shelling out? Good luck!

Ian Pearson

Got my pair from Sean. Fit snugly over my own specs but sometimes just wear didys on my own with no perscription specs. Wonder if eyesight improves as you get older. I mean I am 100 now !!

Ian

Madam Steph

It changes for most people with age, Ian.
It makes us less shortsighted if we are and more longsighted, if we are.
I think  :P

Linda x

mizgeorge

Another screen fan here. I never got on with wearing two pairs, found the clips too heavy and wasn't prepared to shell out for new prescription didys every time my eyes changed.

Gordon

Another screen fan here as well

Nicknack

I've got a visor.  It's much easier than fit overs - they would never stop sliding off (specially in hot weather), and were a real pain.  I got the visor off ebay, I think it was Ray Skene's.

Nick

Steampunkglass

I had the same problem trying to fit diddys over my glasses, in the end I ordered some clip-ons for usa, http://www.vseyewear.com/store-glass/ although they do likewise end up sliding down my nose because of the weight, so I got a sports spectacle strap to keep them in place. Only problem is when I get around to a new prescription, I need to make sure the new frame fits the clip ons!

lantana

I got a pair from Wale apparatus (USA) They offer great protection from soda flare, infra red and UV. They are suitable for boro as well. I find my eyes are much happier and I don't get the 'been out in the sun too long' feeling after torching anymore.

Moira HFG

Brilliant, thanks very much, everyone.

I hadn't considered a screen I'm not sure I'd get on with it, but it clearly has fans so I'll think about it.
I didn't know visors were available - I like the idea tho, will do some googling (- sorry, binging, we're trying to avoid tax-shy megacompanies). It sounds like a screen that moves with you and can't be knocked over - neat idea.
Not sure I fancy fiddling with clip-ons, and I see few votes for fit-overs, so maybe not a great idea - though I'll check out the Wale site.

Alas, Ian, my eyesight has not improved with age. Without my specs I'd have to find the torch by the hissing noise. But I'm only 95, there's time yet  ;)

Cheers, all.

Nicknack

Quote from: Moira HFG on June 07, 2013, 09:10:50 PM
I didn't know visors were available - I like the idea tho, will do some googling (- sorry, binging, we're trying to avoid tax-shy megacompanies). It sounds like a screen that moves with you and can't be knocked over - neat idea.

Alas, Ian, my eyesight has not improved with age. Without my specs I'd have to find the torch by the hissing noise. But I'm only 95, there's time yet  ;)

Cheers, all.

The visor fits round your forehead above your glasses, and the visor part hinges so it comes down over them, but you can lift it if you need to.  There's an adjuster on the back, so you can get it to fit your head.  I do find, though, that it's not so easy if you get an itch - you have to take the whole thing off to scratch!

I tried sports spectacle straps for my fit-overs, but they didn't really fit the wide ear pieces, and still tended to slip a bit. I like the visor.

Nick

babyshoes

I get on quite fine with the fit overs that came from Tuffnells with the beginner kit. The black pair seem better than the tortoiseshell ones (bought second hand as spares) as the arms and frame are slightly rubbery so are less likely to slip down. It took a short while to get used to them, but now I find that I'm fine with even a long session. Don't know how good they'd be for boro as I don't use it, but they are pretty decent for soft glass.

My specs have relatively narrow lenses though, I imagine if you have large lenses in your prescription glasses the fit overs might not be so comfortable as they'd rest on the top of the frame.

If your prescription is not complex, you can buy ultra-cheap prescription glasses online for less than a tenner including postage. I have some and the prescription is fine, but the frames are very light and plasticy, which is not great for daily use but fine for occasional use (I keep a pair in the glove box in case of emergency) - so perhaps a narrow framed pair of those might be suitable under fit-overs as a fairly cost effective solution.

Moira HFG

Thanks for the tips. I've been binging away and found these:

A pair of dual purpose 'green ace' on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/123403778/phillips-safety-glasses-greenace-lens?ref=shop_home_active

A dual purpose screen - dread to think how much postage would be on this:
http://www.vseyewear.com/store-glass/glassworking/lampworking-green-ace-didymium/table-shield-and-visors/ace-didymium-glass-working-spectacles-in-reinforced-plastic-safety-frame-removable-side-shields-1346.html

And from the same company, a 'green ace' visor on US ebay.
http://www.vseyewear.com/store-glass/glassworking/lampworking-green-ace-didymium/table-shield-and-visors/ace-didymium-glass-working-spectacles-in-reinforced-plastic-safety-frame-removable-side-shields.html
Is this what yours looks like, Nick? Do you really look like a Cyberman whilst you are working?  :) (Actually i quite fancy that as a look.)

Also more lightweight fit-overs from Wale:
http://waleapparatus.com/catalog.asp?prodid=548085&showprevnext=1 

The last look quite appealing as they are relatively cheap - on sale, even - and the SB ones look like a good compromise for trying out (clear) boro to get the feel of it without commitment. I have emailed them to find out postage to the uk.

I am torn between those and the Cyberman kit. I'll let you know which I go for!

Moira x

Nicknack

Yes, Moira, mine is much like that, but not for boro.  Hadn't thought I might look like a cyberman, will have to look in a mirror!

Nick

Nick

I use the black framed fit over glasses from Tuffnels for soft glass, which fit fine and I have never had any problems with them. However for boro I use a pair if welding glasses from Machine Mart which work better with boro.