Newbie - maybe a stupid question .....

Started by Sjws, March 25, 2013, 08:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sjws

Hi

I have just bought 2 multi presses from Perlenpresse in Germany and I am disappointed with them, but am unsure if I am being unrealistic. The Lentil trio has 2 out of the three sizes with flaws in the surface, looks like they reamed out but slightly unevenly. I have the same issue with the pillow bead in the pillow and heart press. I expected them to be finely milled and smooth, was I wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions

Sarah

fionaess

Hi
I have had several presses from them and not been disappointed.. perhaps if you could post a pic we might be able to help.

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Lynnybobs

Do they just look like they are uneven or do they feel uneven when you run your finger over ? They usually feel nice and smooth but have milling marks in the brass  that may look like grooves but aren't as thats how they've been cut.
Lynnybobs
----x----

Redhotsal

If the overall shape is okay but there are milling marks on the surface I really wouldn't worry. If there are obvious flaws - digs out of the surface or other obvious dents/bumps then there may be an issue. However, when you use a press, or any tool for that matter you will end up with ridges across the surface of the glass anyway. These are called chill marks and are due to the surface of the glass contracting quickly as it contacts the cooler brass surface. You will have to flame polish these out anyway - regardless of the finish of the press surface. Even a glossily smooth graphite marver will cause chill marks. So, in essence - unless the press has had an obvious "accident" then it doesn't matter a hoot.

In fact - there's an argument for not having too smooth a surface as sometimes the "fit" is too good between bead and press and they actually get stuck as a vacuum is created.

Just a general word of advice to any Newb on using presses - sometimes people expect them to be some kind of "instant shaper". They're not (and neither should they be!). They're a tool like all our other tools. Use them to "encourage" the shape of the bead rather than to churn out dozens of ugly pressed beads with nasty seams. In other words - depending on the press you may have to return to the press two, three or even more times to get the shape that you want and don't press down to hard to begin with. Hope this helps.