torching inside

Started by elburnzo, August 02, 2012, 06:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elburnzo

Ok so I'm having to move house (split up with the boyfriend :( ). One of my options is a flat. Has anyone got their set up in a flat? I'm jst worried about having propane in the house

Madam Steph

I have a 19kg tank in my Loungio in my house, and I string the vent kit though the kitchen and out the kitchen window

Linda x

Enchanted Cobwebs

Hope you are ok and things get better in time.

I have been in the same quandry not a flat but I'm in a town house and my work room is on the top attic level, complete with propane. I scared myself witless in the beginning and got a propane leak detector, leak detection spray, carbon monoxide detector, fire extinguisher etc etc. I asked lots of questions on here some said it wasnt safe many others have the gear indoors and also in flats. I always bleed the pipe, the gas goes outside when I'm away. I got the BBQ size gas first time but it looked a bit threatening so I got a smaller one when it ran out as it lasted for ages. I wish I could have it outside but its a case of I either do it indoors or not at all and my personal take on it is if you are ultra careful its no worse than one of those gas heaters though this is just my personal opinion as I'm not a safety expert. Good luck
Helen
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

lyzzydee

mines inside when torching and when not in use outside!!

helbels

I live in a one bed flat and torch in my bedroom!  I have the oxycon permanently in there, and have the propane on a quick release.  When I''m finished the propane gets put in our little outside cupboard.  My fan ventilation goes out of the bedroom and vents out the landing window.

It's totally possible and I've been doing it nearly 3 years and never had any incidents.

GaysieMay

My propane is inside - I'm not totally happy about it, but its been in for at least 18 months with no problems. Sorry to hear about you and your boyfriend. x
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Kaylee

I'm in a house not a flat but currently torch upstairs in spare room/study. Propane stays inside all the time - I've never had any problems with it. Every so often I have a bit of a worry about it cos I tend to worry  ;) but it seems to be fine. Also I have to confess I don't have proper ventilation - I torch in front of the window so I just open the window and have a carbon monoxide detector going.

JaySpangles

We live in a French house.  Our cooking hob in the kitchen is gas and the propane bottle lives in a cupboard in the kitchen all the time.  It is normal in French houses.  We turn it off when we go away, but that it. The torch propane is in my workroom downstairs.  I bleed the lines when we go away.  No dramas.

MyPrecious

I'm about to set up my studio in a flat and I have opted to use butane as propane is not allowed inside full time in France. I'm told that butane will work fine and that the flame may just be a bit cooler.
Kathy

My website

JKC

Hi Claire, no useful info from me, just to say sorry to hear your news, hope everything is ok with you.  Good luck.  Janet

tish

i also torch in a house upstairs and my bottle stays put til it needs changing its to darn heavy to lug up and down  as far as im concerned plus to tell the truth the myth busters proved these bottles were practically indistructable

Krysia@No98

I am in a flat, my set up is in here too.  Propane in the flat, it is fine.

The problem is...

I own my flat.  When you have a flat you don't pay the buildings insurance the company that manage the building do.  (you pay them a maintenance fee)  When you don't directly pay the buildings insurance and you have no control over what you are insured for and no control over how much is paid.  There is a clause in my lease that forbids me from making or manufacturing or running a business from the flat.  (I'm also not allowed to do anything immoral  ;)  ::) )  Because of this clause I am unable to request the buildings insurance to include me making and selling items.

If I sell my beads I invalidate the buildings insurance not just for me but for everyone else in this block.

I am currently insured for my hobby and this insurance allows me to have up to 25kg of gas in my home.

Sorry I know this is not what you want to hear, I rail against it every day.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

JaySpangles

Quote from: MyPrecious on August 02, 2012, 11:02:26 PM
I'm about to set up my studio in a flat and I have opted to use butane as propane is not allowed inside full time in France. I'm told that butane will work fine and that the flame may just be a bit cooler.

OOPS... Maybe our cooker is butane then, but the torch is running on propane and that is inside!!!!.  I did intend putting it outside and do have a quick release, but in winter it would be buried in snow (it was 6 feet deep outside that particular window last year.)

ScarletLeonard

Aww Claire hun **hugs**

TBH so long as you aren't some sort of idiot there is no problem with propane inside.
Heck those heaters are still popular and they have a 6kg tank inside them, and with most people that have them the pipes don't get bled and the tank isn't turned off like we do with ours.

My tank has been inside for 3 years, hubby won't actually let me keep it outside because the studio is at the front of the house so outside the tank is more at risk because it could get vandalised. (or pinched or any number of things)

but check the buildings insurance. it will depend on the landlord what they allow.