Is this a good price?

Started by jeannette, June 11, 2012, 09:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeannette

Just wondered if anyone knows where I could seek prices for these items? Seems reasonable price, but I don't know where to start looking to compare.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290726609426?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D290726609426%26_rdc%3D1#

JKC

It says the combined price was over £200, you could check on warmglass.co.uk, creativeglass.co.uk, for the apron  maybe do a google search. Janet

BeeBeads

I think it's the visor that's the expensive item.  From what I've found online, it's over £100 just for that.
I think you can get gloves for a reasonable price and probably the apron too.

Pat from Canvey

Do you want the visor for kiln work or bead making? The visor will be too dark for beads. I have one for my big kiln.

jeannette

Its not for beading, just raking hot glass, Pat. Which does interest me, but I haven't fetched the kiln yet...so thinking about raking before I even fused anything seems a bit indulgent, but then I wait and I have to pay 200 for it or similar.
I must be losing my knack, couldn't find on warm glass or creative - doh!

Thanks, all.

Flyingcheesetoastie

I think you'd find raking in mitts quite tricky, I have long arm hi temp gloves and these are still cumbersome but much easier to grip onto tools, open kiln doors etc.

jeannette

Thanks I'm considering that as well as possibly using a welding mask which I heard is suitable...

Flyingcheesetoastie

Personally, on my toploader when I'm opening it up and peeking or messing about inside, I'll wear safety glasses but not much else.  As long as you wear natural fibres and dont stand there cooking yourself then you shouldn't need expensive equipment until you start working larger or for longer.  My advice would be to be sensible but give something a try and then decide if you need more gear.

jeannette

Thanks, I just bought a kiln off the guy and he is being jolly nice and offering me a deal on these as well. But I haven't even got the kiln in-situ and in use, so if it's a steal then I would go for it, but I think I have enough to do in the beginning with just fusing and slumping I'm better off buying glass with that money.
Appreciate your feedback though  ;D ;D