MONTHLY COLOUR CHALLENGE - MAY/JUNE 2012 WINNER NOW UP!!!

Started by Kaz, May 19, 2012, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Box Studio

I like those Gay.  I've some more in the kiln, not sure what they'll come out like.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

tish

i did use a whole rod but the results are awful so no show sorry

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: tish on May 27, 2012, 08:18:48 PM
i did use a whole rod but the results are awful so no show sorry

No such word as 'awful' on here, just 'organic' or 'freeform'.  Come and show, heaven knows I've shown some pretty strange beads in the past.  Someone might be able to tell you why you aren't getting the effect you want :) :)
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

tish

ok so here we go then
1st i just melted and shaped

2nd and 3rd and 4th i did the striking and reducing and reduced with decoration in that order

then i reduced and encased

all together now

dont say i didnt warn you lol

poledra1958

I have the Val Cox Dark Iris Orange Frit  does that count  ;) ;) ;)

HH on Bulk,

Skyblue

Love all the different entries , I dont have any of this colour but am enjoying looking at everyones work ! the snails are sooo cute :)

Pandanimal

Quote from: tish on May 27, 2012, 08:23:36 PM
ok so here we go then

I see what you mean Tish, They are not the most pleasing of beads. your first 2 are exactly what I got too on my first bead. Which is why I sprinkled it in sodium bicarbonate and heated it till it screamed for mercy. The second one I just started the bicarb straight off so its not heated in quite so much and it does seem to have a little more colour. I think reducing isn't helpful with raku, seems to make them look burnt. I thought encasing was meant to help though.
I do hope some one comes along soon to tell us what we are doing wrong.

tish

snap id just like to know where the orange is and what colours im meant to be looking for lol as so many different colours are appearing in other ppls beads but noone has said whats right lol

Krysia@No98

I think with Raku its rapid heating and cooling, or at least that's what you need to do when you are doing a ceramic raku firing.  So have you guys tired heading it until its so melty that it's clear and then using a cold tool on it?  I think you might need to do it a few times.

The idea is that you get lots of colours from it not just the one, so lots of layer should give you a wider selection as the different layers of glass will have been heated and cooled a different number of time.

** I HAVE NOT MADE THESE BEADS - MADE BY SOME ONE ELSE**

See how this person has got different colours.  You could try encasing the raku to see if that does anything
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

tish

anybody want the rest of my raku i dont like glass that cannt mk up its mind what colour it is will swap for tangerine sparkle or clio or other glass

Yellow friend

This has raku twistie wrapped around the middle, I really like the different /unexpected colours you get from it.

Shelia
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

Lakelady

Quote from: Pandanimal on May 29, 2012, 08:29:41 AM
Quote from: tish on May 27, 2012, 08:23:36 PM
ok so here we go then

I see what you mean Tish, They are not the most pleasing of beads. your first 2 are exactly what I got too on my first bead. Which is why I sprinkled it in sodium bicarbonate and heated it till it screamed for mercy. The second one I just started the bicarb straight off so its not heated in quite so much and it does seem to have a little more colour. I think reducing isn't helpful with raku, seems to make them look burnt. I thought encasing was meant to help though.
I do hope some one comes along soon to tell us what we are doing wrong.
There is a huge thread about this on LE.  Basically, what has been said is that frit is great or the lower COE rods.  104 in the rod doesn't work so well.  So you need to keep it for decoration only - ideally, heat to white, wave it around, marver it on brass (this is what helps bring out the colours) and encase.
I use rods for murrini, and for dots etc and get nice results.

Love those colours Yellow Friend, great example of what you can get out of Raku!  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art

ARBeads

Crap photie but......

After years of poo,
I got colour from Raku.....

IMG_4850_edited-1 by A & R Jewellery, on Flickr

Some of the leaves are encased , some not.  Heated the snot out of it and then marvered to chill repeatedly.

Ruth

Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

tinker

Gorgeous entries so far! I'm almost embarrassed to post mine up but I'm having a brave moment and long may it last lol.

I thought I'd try it over one of my favourites - Thai Orchid, I do rather like the colours that came out

20120531_082708-1 by Kat Newman, on Flickr

Lotti

Well it's clear that some clever folks can do it, I am still struggling, might have another go next week, but although this is poo frit I actuallyy quite like the bead!  ;D