I think im venting to much!

Started by Mandy, December 18, 2011, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandy

I have recently changed from hot head to minor and my flame seems to be being effected by my vent. Please could you take a look at my pic, It has my old hothead in it, my minor sits a couple of inches in from the edge of the table. Do you think I need to sit the vent a bit back?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65947601@N08/6532110831/

Many thanks ... mandy 8)

Mandy

i just looked at pic and I have pushed vent back probably three inches..

ejralph

Have you tried the Incense test?

If your ventilation is right, you should be able to hold a burning stick of incense around where you would be melting and working the glass and not smell any of the fragrance. If you can still smell the burning incense, then your ventilation is not set up right.

It took me a while to get mine right as it was sucking all the air from around the vent, not necessarily removing the air from the area I needed it to. I ended up building a sort of barley box around my torch and that did the trick.

Emma

Blue Box Studio

You can get smoke matches from your local plumbing shop, hold one by the side of your torch (torch off) and watch where the plume of smoke goes.  It took me a while to get my vent hose right, too far away and the smoke swirled round the room before going out the pipe, too close and my torch flame was dancing all over the place.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Mandy

Thankyou so much, I'm going to get my husband to have a look tomorrow..My flame is definitely dancing so think I'm going to move it a little further back and higher.
Brilliant Idea about burning something smelly that will put my mind at ease, It does concern me.  :)

GaysieMay

Some good tips here, I'm going to try the incense test, as for the first time ever my carbon monoxide alarm went off the other week.
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: GaysieMay on December 19, 2011, 09:44:02 AM
Some good tips here, I'm going to try the incense test, as for the first time ever my carbon monoxide alarm went off the other week.

Mine goes off if I put charcoal in my kiln.  Took me a while to work out why, and that the solution was to remove the alarm in favour of the charcoal!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Hotglass28

You need to use smoke matches not incense sticks and the torch needs to be lit when you do the test.  Insence sticks are too weak.

Looks to me that you need a funnel of some sort angled at the end of the flame.  To me, your pipe will suck up some of the plume but not all.

Can I give a thundercat  "hoooooo!!!"  to barley box ventilation  ;D  The best way to get rid of fumes as soon as poss IMO.

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Pauline

Quote from: Hotglass28 on December 19, 2011, 08:13:39 PM

Can I give a thundercat  "hoooooo!!!"  to barley box ventilation  ;D  The best way to get rid of fumes as soon as poss IMO.

what is a barley box please

tomcat

Mark - Blog - http://beadsbeerandphotos.blogspot.co.uk/
Life is not a game - its THE game, so play it like you mean it
A Long time ago in Egypt cats were worshipped as Gods, cats have not forgotten this !

Pauline

Thanks Mark...... the worrying thing is that I had completely forgotten that I had asked that question ??? ???