'sunburn' from torching?

Started by flame n fuse, November 28, 2011, 08:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flame n fuse

Hi, has anyone experienced 'sun burn' from torching? I did about 5 hours torching over the weekend, and my cheeks and forehead are pink and it feels like windburn. I am also puffy round the eyes under my wraparound diddys. I was using my usual set up with propane and an oxycon with a bobcat. Does anyone have any clues?

Thanks!

sparrow

The residual burn from the heat gives me 'sunburn' quite often, if you do proper glassblowing, furnace and all, it's (certainly for me) very common. Mine usually goes down within 48 hours at the latest, but it might be a good idea to turn the heat down ;)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Kaz

I quite like it - cheaper than a sunbed and I always seem to have a "healthy" glow! Perhaps use some sunscreen if your reaction is that extreme!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Zeldazog

Quote from: Kaz on November 28, 2011, 08:48:46 AM
I quite like it - cheaper than a sunbed and I always seem to have a "healthy" glow!
;D ;D

tinker

Yes, oh good I thought I was going a bit mad there. I get horrible puffy eyes sometimes and was never 100% sure if the torch could do that!

Lush!

Hey, I've got a red nose, puffy eyes, brown arms and legs ... Oh, that'll be from the Egyptian sunshine then  :D :D :D

Couldn't resist, soz  8)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

sparrow

Quote from: Lush! on November 28, 2011, 09:35:18 AM
Hey, I've got a red nose, puffy eyes, brown arms and legs ... Oh, that'll be from the Egyptian sunshine then  :D :D :D

You are an evil creature!  ;D
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Lush!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Fiona

Yep you're not alone.  I had it that bad a couple of weeks ago after about 6 hours at the torch.

Redhotsal

THere is a thread about this before. You can do a search and maybe find it. Basically - you won't get "sunburn" as such because there is not enough UV in the flame. But there is a lot of InfraRed radiation which is what's causing your redness. While you won't damage your skin from a UV/cancer point of view, slapping on the sunscreen won't actually make a difference. You would be as well to slap on  a moisturiser. Both suncreen and moisturisers will help but only from the point of view of them moisturing the skin. You won't be suffering in the same way that you will from sun damage. Hope that makes sense?

Certainly wear eye protection as the Infra Red radiation certainly doesn't help your eyesight and can increase the risk of cataracts and detached retina (in the case of strong radiation - like a hot shop or furnace work)

flame n fuse

Thanks for all the useful info and the links. I'm the sort of person who burns easily in the sun any way. I shall have to take more care and also look more into whether I should be using more eye protection. It was an odd sort of sunburn - my cheeks got it, but my nose didn't!