Let's talk about ... didys with a hothead

Started by Lush!, September 26, 2011, 08:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhotsal

Just a couple more points to consider:

We are all different so what may make one person's eyes sore may not even affect another person. In terms of sodium flare/light radiation you have to consider your own eyes.

Me - I'm middle aged and have pupils like pin holes. It's one of those annoying afflictions of increasing age that your pupils become less "agile" and after years of dancing around to accommodate differing light volumes they tend to settle at "old person diameter". Looks unattractive (and that's why Roman ladies of a certain age would dilate their pupils with belladonna to look more alluring to the opposite sex) but, more to the point, small pupils don't let in much light. Which is why old people don't like moody lighting and insist on having every light in the house on. (On a similar note I wonder whether old people's earholes shrink - by the way?  ;))

So, compared to a youngster - whose pupils will resemble that of a hippy at a Hawkwind gig - older people need more light. They also need more contrast. Sorry Julie - I reckon you're nearer my age than Emily's age so you may find it harder to see the flame. Whereas a teenager will have an advantage. And in fact - because that teenager's pupils will let in tons more light (and other radiation) it's actually much more necessary for them to wear the eye protection. So - youngsters - WEAR THE DIDYS. I'm not saying this to patronise - there is scientific basis.

Reading the LE thread I saw that some people use sunglasses. This is really bad. Sunglasses aren't going to help. What they WILL do is fool your eyes into thinking it is darker than it really is. Guess what that will do? Yes, it'll make your pupils dilate which will let in more unwanted radiation. I would say that it's better to wear NO protection than to wear sunglasses.

And yes, if you're not going to wear Didys then it's safer to work in broad daylight than it is to work in a dark gloomy shed without any protection just so's your pupils will contract and protect your eyes.
BUT then you won't be able to see the flame so................

.........use a minor burner with didys.....!

Shirl

Thats great information Sal and puts my mind at rest somewhat.

I am one of the oldies and work in a bright conservatory on my HH so I should be OK.

I cant see my flame but have just got used to knowing where it is.

Kaz

I was taught on a hothead - with no glasses even mentioned!!! Presumably in Oz, their eyes get knackered by the sun anyway!!!
Julie - I would say it's a risk assessment from your point of view. Presumably you won't be doing this every day and when you are doing it, you hopefully won't be doing it for long, as you will be spending most of your time taking cash ;D Though my worry would be that you would not be setting a good example - so maybe at least get some safety specs? I like the idea of you switching the light down - that'll be the big light in the sky then, I expect ;D
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

jobead

I am taking a guess that this is one of a very small handful of  forums where people can talk about Hawkwind and not suddenly get a chorus of WHO !!!!!!!!

I got a silver machine.........

Sorry I digress

dangerousbead

You only get two eyes at best, why risk them?   If old people need more contrast how come they always wear beige?   :-)

ScarletLeonard

I think this thread just goes to show how much conflicting information is out there.

Redhotsal

Quote from: dangerousbead on September 27, 2011, 08:09:25 AM
You only get two eyes at best, why risk them?   If old people need more contrast how come they always wear beige?   :-)

Because they think they're wearing camouflage......... ;)

awrylemming

Quote from: Redhotsal on September 27, 2011, 08:39:38 AM

Because they think they're wearing camouflage......... ;)

Okay, how many of us looked down at what we're wearing?!

SilverGems89

I have always worn diddys, and can't even watch demo's without them on! I also torch during the day, the glare when it is dark gives me a headache, even with diddys! I can see the blue cone of the flame perfectly which lets me know where i need to be working, but since i have been working this way for almost 2 years i guess i am used to it! I'm not looking forward to switching over to a dual fuel, i'll likely be in a mess with it for weeks!

tomcat

Quote from: jobead on September 27, 2011, 08:02:55 AM
I am taking a guess that this is one of a very small handful of  forums where people can talk about Hawkwind and not suddenly get a chorus of WHO !!!!!!!!

I got a silver machine.........

Sorry I digress

yep - works with my orgone accumulator, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhWArBhPWu0&feature=related
;D ;D ;D ;D
Mark - Blog - http://beadsbeerandphotos.blogspot.co.uk/
Life is not a game - its THE game, so play it like you mean it
A Long time ago in Egypt cats were worshipped as Gods, cats have not forgotten this !

Pat from Canvey

As one of the oldies, I'll say Hawkwind "WHO" and I'm not wearing beige. Greeny top and blue jeans, lilac knickers and yellow bra, leopard skin fake furry slippers.

Lush!

I love knowing that Pat has a yellow bra  ;D ;D

Thanks for all the input, and yep, I agree with Scarlet about the conflicting information.

However, I knew Sally wouldn't let me down!  Its all that stuff about dilating pupils that I was looking for - thank you  ;D  I can understand that, and I can pass it on.  And I will make sure I set a better example in future, Kaz  :D

You only get two eyes at best, why risk them?   

Jane, that was the point of this thread - I just wanted to make absolutely sure that we really are risking them and that the special coating on the glasses is necessary or if plain safety goggles will do.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Bubblebeads

I wear didys only because I was advised to but I some times pull them down because I cant see the flame

★★Terri★★

When I started out I didn't use Diddys.  Cindy Jenkins said you didn't need them because the lack of soda flare on a hot head doesn't warrent it.

I asked the question on this forum, and was advised to wear them.  Ray Skene gave a detailed explanation as to why, which sounded very scary (but that may have been on another forum ???).

I wear varifocals so getting the right set up is difficult - and now wear cheapy readers from the chemist to the same(ish) strength as my reading presciption with my diddys over the top. 

Like so many others I can see the blue cone and mostly know where I need to be in relation to this.  On the odd occassion that I peek over the top I cannot see anything in the big bushy flame.  I do find I get a bit of eye strain - but I think that is down to working at the same focal range for a while - I get it if I read for a long while - or do other close work like sewing as well, especially if I am wearing my varifocals.  I usually get a pair of single focal readers as my spare pair of specs to try and overcome this.

Lighting is important - I'm in a shed with a florescent strip light and the windows blanked out with newspaper which seems to suit.  Bright lights stop me seeing anything.

I remember watching Martin demonstrating on a hot head without diddys, when someone asked him why he said he couldn't see the flame with them on in the really dim lighting conditions in the hall.