Quick help required - spreading colours

Started by Ilona, September 25, 2011, 05:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilona

I haven't made a bead for nearly a month and have a complete bead block on. I want to have a go at the spreading dots that leave a lovely outline, i think it is called Batik, but can't find anything about what colours to use. I know that turquoise, ivory, rubino ore, edp are some of the colours, but is there a certain order to use them?

Redhotsal

Some are "spreaders" and some will "contract". For example - rubino on opal yellow will spread. If you then put a dot of turquoise/purple/copper green/EDP on thop of that then you will get those colours getting a darker spot in the middle.
To be honest - half the fun of doing these beads is finding out which colours do what, but a good base is usually opal yellow (you can also use CIM Stoneground) and rubino over the top.

Ilona

SilverGems89

These are some of my favourite style of beads, i use opal yellow, light turquoise, purple or pink (all effetre) as a base, then rubino or EDP dots, plus another dot of any of those over the top to get the dark spots as Sal described!

Big Hole Beads by SilverGems89, on Flickr
Here's an example, all the dots are rubino
Mosaic green is also a spreader!

Ilona

Gems,

They are lovely. I must get some mosaic green.

flowerjasper

these are light and dark turquoise, edp and dirty martini, as Sal says playing with different combos is tthe thing to do,

sandy

Ilona

flowerjasper

another good pair is mystic green and cim poi,
I normally etch as it shows the pattern up,

sandy

GaysieMay

What a lovely thread - will keep a close eye on it to see what other pretties turn up  ;D
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

fionaess

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Ilona

Thanks for this, I had seen it before but had know idea how to find it.

fionaess

You're welcome Ilona - I knew I had it somewhere - it was just a case of tracking it down  ;D ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

TheJanie

I've been looking for a copy of this for the past few days with the idea of posting it here but I couldn't find it!  Thanks for posting :)

Kathy

WOW! I'm going to have to play with those colours - I didn't even know what the effect was called!!! ;D ;D ;D

Beansprout

I absolutely love this technique. Fell across it two years ago at flame off trying a DF torch. Had a base of eff. blue and eff. Ming dots (didn't know what the second rod was when I picked it up) , when I picked the bead up later on it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen! So I ran around Tuff's stall and Of Mandrel's stall trying desparately to find this magical glass, bought a 1/2 k of ming (after examining the ends of the rods of all the dark blues). When I got home I had an afternoon trying out my new trick, only to find that it worked with *most* of the other rods I had! Was a little disappointed that I'd ran around like a loon then bought some extra glass I didn't really nneeeed too, but realised actually, it's a pretty cool trick, that I wouldn't have found without running around like a loon ^^