AOTM September 2011 - Karina Thornhill

Started by sparrow, August 31, 2011, 06:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Karina Thornhill

How did you get started in glass bead making?

I have loved glass and glass beads for as long as I can remember, I was looking around on the internet for beads when I came across Martin's starter kit. I googled making glass beads and watched some videos on You Tube, went back to Tuffnell's and ordered the kit.

Where and when did you light the torch for the first time?

January 2008 in my back bedroom and couldn't get the hot head to light, when it did, I just sat and stared at it. I made a few beads but then had to pack it all up as Steve got a job in Ireland. I really got into it when we got back in November 2008.

Have you had any lessons? Where do you get your knowledge from?

I have had a few lessons, firstly with Sarah Downton, who got beadmaking to click into place with me and helped me progress my skills. I have also had a lesson with Lorna Prime who is not only a brilliant and patient teacher but it's a joy just to watch her lay down stringers. I have also done a course with Michal Silberberg, again stringers, I will tame them :) In May this year I was lucky enough to go to Murano to take a course with Davide Penso and Kristina Logan who have two completely different styles. I learnt a lot from this course.
I have a lot of lampworking books which I have read cover to cover and watched LOTS of youtube videos.

Are there any bead makers or jewellery designers you admire? What for?

I admire Lorna Prime for her very detailed intricate beads. Julie Fountain for her colourful happy beads. Michael Barley, I have loved his baleen beads every since I first saw them. Anouk Jaspere, the colours she gets from silver glass is amazing.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

Nature mainly, I live 2 minutes from the beach and 20 minutes from the South Downs and most of my colourways seem to be influenced by this.

Have you got a 'signature' style? How would you describe it?
I don't have a signature style, I seem to go from one style to another.

What skill or technique would you like to learn - where would you like to take your art next?

Consistent stringer work, mine is still hit and miss. I would like to broaden my colour palette, I tend to stay on the blue/green colourways with a sprinkle of purple. I should pack up my green/blue glass then I will have to make other colour beads.

Which bead or piece are you most proud of - can you tell us the story behind it?
I am most proud of these beads

LoveActually by Kays Beads, on Flickr
they were so out of my comfort zone both in style and colour. The little hearts are 3mm and took a lot of breath holding to get them all neat.

Which of your personality traits comes through in your work, do you think?
Lack of attention span, I make a lot of mixed sets or I get really bored. I often have 3 sets going on at the same time so I can change which bead I make next.

What are you currently working on?
Layered flower ring tops, I love making them.

amber flower ring top
by Kays Beads, on Flickr

teal flower ring top by Kays Beads, on Flickr

Where can we see more of your work?
Here I am http://www.etsy.com/shop/KarinaThornhill and here is my Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kays-beads/
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial