Beads of Courage Opens in the UK

Started by RSimmons, August 18, 2011, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephine

Is it specific types of beads, I seem to remember butterflies and hearts are involved, or can it be any type of bead within your guidelines above.

GlassOwl

Welcome Robert to the forum.

This sounds like a wonderful idea.

I too would be interested in the listed hospitals especially as I am kind of in the middle of nowhere as far as lampworkers go and not as far as hospitals go.

I will get making as soon as I can to donate a few beads

Thanks

Sandra

RSimmons

Quote from: Josephine on August 18, 2011, 05:18:50 PM
Is it specific types of beads, I seem to remember butterflies and hearts are involved, or can it be any type of bead within your guidelines above.
At one time we had artist-made butterflies for the parents of children who didn't survive but in the last year we have had to move to a commercially made product for that application. Lots of thought and soul-searching went into that decision but in the end it's been for the best. Now we would really like for participating artists to send up beads that we can use for our Act of Courage beads. These can be just about any color or design that you like to make. The children really treasure these unique beads as they help tell the story of exceptional moments (both good and bad) on their journey through treatment.

Robert
Robert Simmons
Bead Donations Director
Beads of Courage, Inc.

Calico Cat

It's great to see this happening in the UK  :)

Got some new glass from Martin yesterday so I'll be trying it out at the weekend - hope silly animals (cats, frogs, chickens etc) are OK?

Got some fish tuts that might work as well.

Carole

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

RSimmons

Quote from: Calico Cat on August 18, 2011, 06:05:23 PM
It's great to see this happening in the UK  :)

Got some new glass from Martin yesterday so I'll be trying it out at the weekend - hope silly animals (cats, frogs, chickens etc) are OK?

Got some fish tuts that might work as well.

Carole
Animals are great. Just be sure that ears, tails and legs are tucked up enough to not get broken off. Thanks very much!
Robert
Robert Simmons
Bead Donations Director
Beads of Courage, Inc.

squirsygirl

I'm going through my box-of-beads in a moment.

Can I just ask, though - what about insurance?  Are you / we covered through commercial insurance?

Kirsty

RSimmons

Quote from: Kirsty B on August 18, 2011, 06:56:35 PM
I'm going through my box-of-beads in a moment.

Can I just ask, though - what about insurance?  Are you / we covered through commercial insurance?

Kirsty
Yes, Beads of Courage carries all of the appropriate insurance coverage. One reason why we have donations sent to a central location instead of directly to the hospitals is that we need to inspect all beads for safety before they go out.

Robert
Robert Simmons
Bead Donations Director
Beads of Courage, Inc.

Lakelady

This sounds like a wonderful scheme!  My baby granddaughter has a serious cardiac condition, so we are having first hand experience of all the accompanying trials and tribulations.  I will definately be contributing when I am up and running.
Turner Rowe Glass Art

amareargentum

Welcome Robert. It's great to see this scheme extended to the UK. I will be making some beads to send you.

RSimmons

Here's a list of the new member hospitals:

The hospitals that are starting the programme initially are 3 main hospitals and
their shared care sites:-

Main Hospital - Birmingham Childrens Hospital
Shared Care Hospitals which are Burton Hospitals NHS Trust;
Walsgrave Hospital; City General Hospital (Ward110) - University Hospital North
Staffordshore NHS Trust;
The Lingen Davis Childrens Cancer Unit - Royal Shrewsbury Hospital; New Cross
Hospital; County Hospital Hereford' Worcestershire Royal Hospital

Main Hospital - The Royal Marsden
Shared Care Hospitals which are East Surrey Hospital; Kings College Hospital; Royal
Alexandra Hospital (Brighton Hospital) ; The Princess Royal University Hospital;
Frimley Park Hospital; St Georges Hospital; Kingston Hospital; Margate Hospital

Main Hospital - Basildon

We're going to use a lot of beads!

Robert
Robert Simmons
Bead Donations Director
Beads of Courage, Inc.

rocky

... and I think you have stumbled upon a LOT of happy volunteers ;D What a wonderful scheme, thank you for bringing it to the UK ;D
Deanne x

RSimmons

It's really great to see such an enthusiastic response. I think that BOC has a bright future working in the UK hospitals. I'm personally looking  forward to getting to know the la work community a lot better.

Robert
Robert Simmons
Bead Donations Director
Beads of Courage, Inc.

Jolene

This is wonderful news, thank you for letting us know

Jo x

Magpie

Are there minimum/maximum sizes for beads?

*heads for the fugly/orphan jar*

Brink Beads

This sounds fantastic,  can't wait to get some beads made for this and to sort through the lonely ones stored in a jar :-)
Sara

www.brinkbeads.co.uk