Grinding!!

Started by Wheezyanna, August 11, 2011, 12:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheezyanna

I'm wanting to make 'window' beads (creating a see-through to an image inside the bead) but have no idea what equipment to use...Dremel? Ring grinder?  Please HELP!! :-\

mizgeorge

You really need a flat lap. It can be done by hand, with diamond polishing pads, but it's hard work!

Pat from Canvey

As a halfway measure, you make a small clear bead and put your pattern or whatever on 2 opposing faces. Encase to make a larger bead. then encase again with whatever colour you want, leaving two windows where your pattern appears on the bead. Here's one I did with just one window onto which I plonked a murrini.

You can see through to the white encasing the clear at the back of the bead. The best way I've found to encase with the colour is to add a top and bottom of the colour to the bead, then swipe lengthwise on the bits of bead that will not be windows.
I do have a flat lap but have made bone fide window beads using Di East's huge flat lap on a one day course with her. I'll post a picture if I can find it after all this time.

Pat from Canvey

I've found this picture of one I did on my own flat lap in June 2009. Not such a nice finish as ones done on Di East's but considering the difference in costs, not so bad,

I seem to recall that this bead is about 2 inches long.