Silencing my fan...

Started by helenfc, July 24, 2011, 05:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helenfc

My ventilation is a progrow one, I got it aaaaages ago, and they were out of stock of the 2 smaller ones so I got a pretty big one, which is a good plan, as I'm potentially moving to a big studio to share with a friend in September. Only thing is, its really really noisy, doesnt bother me, I just turn the radio up louder, but if I'm sharing with someone its not really fair. Does anyone have any bright suggestions about how I can silence it on the cheap? Thanks xx

helbels

Well the silencers that progrow sell are really just a set of lagging round the ducting, to insulate it a bit and reduce the noise.  So I'm guessing that a thick layer of wadding of some kind round it would probably do the job.

MadelineBunyan

being as you have a powerful fan, you could simply set up the new studio so that the fan is as near as possible to the outlet, and a long hose going to the torch, this will mean the fan is further away from your ears, but it has another benefit, because the air in that section of pipe is being sucked through, if you have a slight gap anywhere, it gets sucked straight on past, instead of being leaked back into your breathing air.

Shirley

You could put it in a wooden box with some sort of insulation or lagging over the box. Just make sure that there is some ventilation so the motor doesn't overheat. I've seen it done with generators pretty effectively.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver