Suppliers of 15/0's

Started by Yellow friend, July 18, 2011, 05:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil-Newbie

I think they are Miyuki 15-2422 but I cannot find a uk supplier anywhere. I can find 15-2422F which is the matte version.  Maybe you can ring around some of the shops who sell miyuki and ask if they have any.

The closest I can find is 15-5L which you can get here..  http://www.stablelodgebeads.com/miyuki-size-15-transparent-silver-lined-dark-gold-1701-p.asp   ;D

or 15-1429  which you can find here http://www.witchbeads.com/proddetail.asp?prod=15%5F1429

Good Luck

Lilly

Yellow friend

Thanks Lily - The Witch Beads is a fascinating site - got a bit sidetracked by the societies links, particularly the Beads Study Trust.  You never know in a 1000 years they might be studying some of our works of art :)

I was given a long string of beads by an old lady friend and I have wanted to find out a bit more about them.  She said they were Benin marriage beads.  They look very old and are a mix of bronze, glass and possibly coral beads with a single bronze patterned ring.  All very worn.  The strings have some brown stains which is a lttle worrying.

Back to the 15/0's - they could be either - will prob have to buy both! or be patient and wait until there's another bead fair.

Cheers
Shelia
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

justjules

Quote from: Yellow friend on July 19, 2011, 08:20:34 PM

Hope this is clear enough - I wondered if they might be a lined topaz of sorts.

Would be most grateful if one of you can recognise these.

:)
Shelia

I work with 15 seed beads a lot (thanks to Laura McCabe!), I'll check my stash & see if I have any that might match.
Julie

Yellow friend

Thanks Jules- it's thanks to Laura McCabe that I got myself in this fix :)

Shelia

designerbeads

There is a difference in size between the japanese and the czech size 15 just to add to the mix!  The czech beads are smaller.
The ones you have look like a japanese type.
I carry a small range of the czech ones, mostly charlottes and metallics or plated.

Laurie
http://designerbeads.com/gallery/index.php

Yellow friend

Thanks Laurie

I have decided it would be best if I wait until the next bead Fair (4th Sept Kempton Park) and take some along with me - I have managed to amass a reasonable 'pile of nearly but not quites'  ;) by buying online.

Cheers
Shelia

SallyB

Hi

What are you making and did you manage to find your beads?
I'm doing Laura's Lantern Lighter Necklace at the moment but have decided to make it into a lariat.  I emailed Laura to ask if she would let me know the colours incase I need more beads and she said she would when she's home from her teaching in England.  She was very happy to help but I guess you picked your own colours out.

I hope you found the beads

Sally

Madam Steph

It might be worth taking in the Big Bead Show at Sandown, Sheila.
They have traders like G J Beads who have a huge selection of seedies and also Oak Tree Crafts. Lorraine at Oak Tree is very helpful. Have a word with her if you attend.
Spellbound Beads usually exhibit, but they don't bring their beads with them, just kits etc.
Sally, I don't know Laura's Lantern Lighter Necklace.
It would be lovely to see work in progress or the end product, Sally.
I recently attended her Cuff Masterclass in Norwich, and she will be back home in the States by now.
Here is my cuff (in progress), which I'm hoping to complete to wear at The Big Bead Show. I have used a few beads from the kit and the leather, but mostly my own stash and beads for the individual touch:

Linda x

nemeton

OHHH - I think I recognize that colour - if I'm right it's one of my most absolutely favourite ones... it's called 'silver lined gold olive' and the Bead Merchant sells them... hang on a sec while I dig out the tube...
*scrabbles about in drawer*
Yup, here you go, size 15 Miyuki 1421. It's that hint of green that makes them so fabulously versatile. I first came across them in a mixed tube of 15's and was obsessed for about six months until I finally tracked them down  ;D

and looking at that tube, I think I need to buy some more...  ;D

ETA here's the linky. Theirs look much more green but this is the same colour, I'm sure it is!
http://www.beadmerchant.co.uk/TSB1421
Lynn

Keep up with me on Facebook or my blog

Yellow friend

Go to the top of the class Lynn :)  I took some with me & managed to get some from Oak Tree Crafts at Kempton (they were the only ones with this colour too!). It is a really good 'green'.  Thanks for the link - will have a look to see if they supply in larger than tiny tube size.

Cheers
Shelia

Yellow friend

Sally. I'm doing a version of Lindas Nudibranch bracelet and have been using my own colours ( what was available in my stash) which is never enough. But it has taught me to think about quantities when I'm buying - especially at fairs. Prob get more than you think;) & not to take them out of their packaging unless you keep a record somehow!!
& Linda
would love to see your completed cuff. Unfortunately I can't do the Bead Fair this year (& it's only a mile from where I live :( ) cos we'll be in Norfolk - birdwatching this weekend. Hayho

Shelia

Madam Steph

Hoping it will be finished this week, Sheila. What a pity you will miss the BBS. It's always so lively.
I apply the same rules for beading supplies as I do whist playing computer games, i.e., computer games = 'save, save, save'; beading/lampworking supplies = 'label, label, label'
Be lovely to see your Nudibranch when completed, too

Linda x

SallyB

I'll take a photo when I get a chance and post it.  It's definately a work in progress.  Laura's kit is for a necklace and I decided I wouldn't be as keen to wear it as a necklace as I would a lariat (the focal bit is massive so I think it would suit me better long).

Your cuff looks really good.  Look forward to seeing it finished.

Sally

SallyB

Here's what I'm working on:

It's Laura McCabe and her pattern is for a necklace but I've decided to make a lariat in sections instead.  It means I'll need to buy more beads which could be tricky because i've not yet found the orange/coral big pearls yet.  Hopefully I'll be able to when the lady who brings a brilliant shop to my beading group comes in early November.

I'm really enjoying making it because it has all different components and it's helped me get over my Fireline aversion. 

Sally
xxx

Madam Steph

That's lovely, Sally.
Aren't Laura's creations interesting to construct  :)

Linda x