Didymium Bench Mounted Shield

Started by ♥♥Tan♥♥, March 19, 2011, 05:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

♥♥Tan♥♥

Do any of you have one of these and if so how do you find it? I am really struggling with my specs now and need to find an alternative and am wondering if this is the way to go.

Bumpy Beads

Tan, I don't have a shield so can't help with that I'm afraid. I was struggling with my glasses too, but the stick on lenses that Martin sells to stick on Didys have been perfect for me. It depends how complicated your prescription is, but if you just need a bit of help for close up work the stickers might be worth considering.
Heather

My Etsy Shop

hollergrafik

I had one but sold it. I was forever clinking stuff on it and melting new rods was a pain because no matter where I put the shield I couldn't get the right angle on them.

Redhotsal

I have one but I don't get on with it very well - kept finding that I bashed into it all the time with the bead when I was trying to get a close look. Having said that, I didn't give myself enough time to get used to it so once you "log" where the shield is you'd probably get the hang of it. You're welcome to borrow mine if you want over the easter period 16th-29th April as it is currently down in the shop in St Ives and we'll be back there then.  :) I usually just position it so that customers can look through it and see the bead being made.

♥♥Tan♥♥

H, thankyou I didn't realise you could get stick ons. I have clip ons for boro but even they tend to migrate!

Kay, I think you have just summed up what I was wondering. It sounds like it was in the way whatever you tried and wasn't that much help when it was in the right place?

I know about prescription didys but I have to have an eye test every year and a stronger prescription each time so I would only get twelve months out of a prescription pair.

I think I may have to bite the bullet and try a bench mounted oojamaflip though

Ooops, nearly cross posted with Sal.....again, its this in the way thing isn't it, do you think there is a clever way to mount it so it feeds up the back of the torch? and as out of the way as possible?

Sal, its a really kind offer but we dare not even approach St Ives town from easter onwards, we shoot up the back to visit mother, curse the lack of parking because everywhere is full of visitors cars and shoot out again, cursing at all the people in the road ;D

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on March 19, 2011, 06:08:56 PM
Sal, its a really kind offer but we dare not even approach St Ives town from easter onwards, we shoot up the back to visit mother, curse the lack of parking because everywhere is full of visitors cars and shoot out again, cursing at all the people in the road ;D

T'is the problem with emmets and grockles.  One the caravan season starts we don't go near the M5 or A38.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

♥♥Tan♥♥

Yup, once the tourist season kicks in we head for the hills :D

MadelineBunyan

I have tried one, they got them at college not long before I left, the biggest problem I found was when I wanted to blow on something like a stringer, it was in the way and I kept doing it too!
also the base is very big, but you get used to them

♥♥Tan♥♥

Great information and help here girls, thankyou so much,  keep it coming :-*

Redhotsal

Heh - I understand! We're staying at Hellesveor at the top of the Stennack if you can venture that far I can bring it up there - or maybe drop it over to you. You're in Hayle, aren't you?

June

I use one too and I do find it much better than trying to wear two pairs of glasses at once, but it can get in the way a bit, too.  Still, I haven't gone back to the diddy's so it's ok with a bit of perseverance!  :)

Sarah

I have one Tan and wouldn't be without it. It is so much better than glasses for me.

I think you just have to find the right place for it to suit your posture and way of working.

Sarah
Xxx

Mary

I love mine. It protects my whole face from the heat, so it's more comfortable. Mine is mounted on my extractor hood so it doesn't get in the way.

sea-thistle

I have one and I love it! i have to wear glasses for close work and the diddy glasses just wont fit over my glasses. I actually feel a bit safer behind the screen. I have no trouble with mine . ;D

mizgeorge

Another shield fan here. I found doubling up on specs painfully heavy - to the point where I stopped wearing them entirely. One day, when I have a more permanent space, I'd like to top mount my shield the way Mary's done, which I think is so clever.