Unusual lampworking tools.

Started by ♥♥Tan♥♥, February 19, 2011, 07:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

Blummin Eck just ordered a key mandrel for the huge bunch of old keys I bought in Oz three years ago!
I love the rod holder from etsy.
Also have 2 cone mandrels, thimble mandrel and blowhole mandrel still in their wrappers!
Best tools are free gravity and heat!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

♥♥Tan♥♥

Yup, gravity is your friend, nearly typed gravy is your friend then

sparrow

Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

ScarletLeonard

But gravy is a very good friend too, and it can be useful in lampworking (only if you have a cold studio a hot mug of gravy and dunk bread in it yum)

Weirdness aside I would love to try a cone mandrel. But that's cause since I saw them I have had a design idea in my head.

If I had to think of my favourite tool I would probably say its the tin foil that holds my frit lol second place goes to my brass shapers.

SilverGems89

i have a question, where on earth do you get keys from?
I only have one "unusual" tool, it is a laboratory spatula that i "borrowed" from my old job, its got the perfect curves for shaping certain anatomical parts on goddess beads  ;)

ScarletLeonard

I get my keys from the key cutters, I just asked them if they had any mortis keys that weren't cut exactly right. They just give them to me, I did get asked what on earth it was I was doing with them (back then it was wire wrapping them) they got very interested.

GaysieMay

I've done a few keys lately and have lots more ready to go.  I just fused some of them onto a hot glass punty, not all worked but the others were hollow so I rammed them with a bamboo kebab skewer, worked a treat!  One of them that proved stubborn to the above I used my reverse action tweezers but they are not so easy to turn.

I'd love the key mandrel, but so far necessity has proved to be the mother of invention in my studio!
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Pat from Canvey

Lush!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

♥♥Tan♥♥

Any pics Gemma? Pat you reminded me that my first marver was the base of an iron ;D

Carol

My clever hubby made me a key mandrel - I'm ashamed to say I've not tried it yet  :-[. I shall get on the case today!
Carol

★★Terri★★

Quote from: Billie on February 19, 2011, 07:12:50 PM
I love my key mandrel... but have a shortage of keys to use it with  ::)

I usually see a fair number of these at most Vide Grenier.......I have a stash of them from way before I started bead making..........I just like the rusty old things ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

Carol, bad wife, BAD WIFE, after all that hard work he put in for you >:( :D

fionaess

Im really lusting after a graphite reamer - any idea of prices on those Tan?

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

♥♥Tan♥♥

Absolutely no idea, both of mine came with other lampwork stuff that I bought from ebay over the years.