Bobcat - this thread includes Sean's useful setup instructions for all torches

Started by Kay24, February 16, 2011, 07:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kay24

I have just scared myself to death with my new bobcat!!! hubby set it all up for me when we got home this evening and we both jumped a mile when I started it up! I thought the wall was going to set on fire! I played with getting the flame right but was a bit scared and haven't attempted a bead yet, its a bit scary going from a hothead to my bobcat!!

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting use to it and what I should set the propane too as the instructions say 5lbs???? should it still be at 3.5bar like my hothead was at?

Kay xx

Les

I don't know what kind of pressure a bobcat is designed to run at, but I have my propane set to about 4.5 for my minor burner .... maybe it just needs turning down at the torch and not the cylinder ?

AnnaSpanna

I've just picked up my new bobcat setup from Tuffers this afternoon. Very much looking forward to getting home tomorrow and setting it up and reverting back to newbie bead skills for a month or so! Will I lust after my HH.... nope probably not. Am I scared too Kay? yes possibly a little  ;D

helbels

I have my Oxycon on 4.5 and the propane regulator fully on for the Cricket which is the Bobcat's little brother!

Lush!

GTT torches are flamethrowers!  Just turn the propane on a tiny bit to light it, Kay, then adjust with the oxygen.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Kay24

Thanks all, will go and try and make a bead in a mo, fingers crossed I dont set the house alight!

Lush!

You will probably also find that you have to adjust the flame every now and again until the valve 'beds in'.  Its not a problem but can be a minor irritation!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

AnnaSpanna

Martin mentioned that about the flame "receding" at first when you start using the torch. He said it doesn't happen with all the torches but to be aware of it and not to worry about their being a malfunction - the torch will sort of grow out of it with use.

helbels

Yeah just keep turning your propane up for about the first 20 mins of use as the flame gets weenier.  It will settle down after that.

Kay24

I'm back from the spare room...bob and I are now in love :) its absolutely amazing! I could of spent all night down there, I made a set of six beads and I think they are the best I have ever made! compared to the hothead the control is brill I can't believe what I have been missing out on!! I can't wait to see how the come out I thought I would just made a few tonight and see how they look in the morning :)  I might have to book Friday off work so I can play all day without child and hubby around to keep interrupting me :)

helbels

Hurrah, may you and Bob be very happy together.  Colin the Cricket and I are also loved up  ;D

mizgeorge

Quote from: helbels on February 16, 2011, 08:04:45 PM
I have my Oxycon on 4.5 and the propane regulator fully on for the Cricket which is the Bobcat's little brother!

That's high! I rarely have my oxycon at more than 3.5!! The cricket's designed to work with low pressure.

Kay24

I'm glad you are colin are too  ;D

My oxycon was set up ready by tuffnells with the right pressure, until hubby started fiddling without reading instructions!  so I had to set it again as instructions said....turn fully anti clockwise and then one full turn clockwise which I did.  When I was reading the replies at first I couldn't work out what the oxycon gauge thing was but then when I switched tom (the oxycon, he was already named!) and bob on it went up to just below 4 I haven't changed that, do I need to adjust it again or is that ok?

Krysia@No98

oooOOOooo this is going to be me as well in 53ish days!!
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Hamilton Taylor

5lbs of pressure is 1/3 bar - much less than your hothead!
To set correct pressure for a dual fuel torch on an oxycon:

• set it all up
  • with oxycon off, and oxy valve shut, open gas valve on torch
  • with lit lighter/candle/other live flame held just under and in front of torch nozzle, open regulator until gas lights.
  • adjust regulator until flame is about 6" long
  • turn off gas valve at torch
  • start oxycon, and open oxy valve at torch
  • when oxy line is bled, turn off oxy at torch, light gas
  • add oxy and adjust both for neutral flame

Whenever I set up a new system, I follow the list above. It means you have set your gas reg with no drama, and your gas reg should then be set for good, or at least for that gas bottle. No further reg adjustment necessary, just melting glass!

Hope that helped, and I'm not trying to teach egg-sucking...
:)
Sean