MAPP Gas

Started by k00m, November 26, 2010, 11:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k00m

Those of you who use or have recently used MAPP gas:
Would any of you mind telling me where you get your MAPP gas from?
Unfortunately bulk propane isn't an option at the moment (thank you crappy rental contract) so I'm definitely stuck with MAPP gas for a while, but the only website I can find that sells it seems to only sell to businesses.
I'm starting to panic that I'm going to have all my equipment arrive, but no gas for the torch!
- Kerra -

Black Heart Beads

Hiya, try plumbing suppliers or B&Q

sarah t

i thought tuffnels had it but i could be wrong .......

ScarletLeonard

B&Q is the best bet.

At worst most plumbing stores will have propane that fits the HH too (B&Q didn't have any MAPP the first time I went to get gas and I couldn't wait.)

awrylemming

I had to use Mapp gas for far too long, and am in the last throes before hooking up my big girls torch - this does mean, however, that I have researched intensively for the cheapest possible price.  Tools4trade are the cheapest I found, at £8.47 for the more expensive bottle, it's a pound cheaper for another but the fittings are different and often faulty, and the pressure is rubbish on the cheaper one.  With VAT and delivery for three bottles I used to pay £34.84.  I never found anything less, sorry.  As soon as you get the opportunity to go to bulk, I would do so.

Flyingcheesetoastie

I get mine from here - http://www.tools4trade.com/d-119015-Rothenberger-Mapp-Gas---35539-.aspx  I tended to buy a case at a time to get free postage and lower price, but now my teaching venue has gone, will be having a re-think.

Flyingcheesetoastie

Oooh forgot to say I recently discovered a company that does refillable MAPP cylinders but haven't yet called them for prices.

k00m

Wow! Thank you everyone for your speedy responses. You've all helped immensely. ;D
- Kerra -

Lynnybobs

B&Q usually have it but some of the smaller stores either don't stock it or are always out of stock.

Can I also ask a question - how many hours do you normally get out a MAPP cylinder?
I hooked my HH up for first time yesterday and not sure how long to expect MAPP to last ?

Hoping to move on the propane next week when I can get a cylinder but was so excited to give my new shedio a try out  :)
Lynnybobs
----x----

k00m

Wow, this thread is a bit of a blast from the past for me! I swapped onto bulk propane a couple months later and it is so much better. I much prefer bottles of propane that last me 5 months.

Anyway, to answer your question Lynnybobs:
If it was a really good cylinder I managed to get 4 hours out of it. But that was over multiple sessions of about 30 minutes. I found that after the first hour the cylinder had just got so cold that the flame wasn't hot enough to melt anything.

Hope that helps.
- Kerra -

the lady with the lamp

:D Toolstation have it alot cheaper than Band Q but they dont deliver you have to pick it up from your nearest shop hope this helps you Parin.

Lynnybobs

Thanks k00m - I did really well then as I was torching for about 3.5 hours yesterday (in 2 sessions though) - expect its about had it now then !!!
Bring on the bulk fuel.....got all the connectors just need the gas !!!
Lynnybobs
----x----

k00m

You might be able to get a little more out of it because it's the summer (though not a particularly warm one). I was using MAPP in the depths of winter in a uninsulated shed, so the cylinders might be a bit more cooperative for you in the summer.
- Kerra -

Shed79

Just a quick price comparison for info.
The B&Q near to the office has MAP gas at £17.48, our local Travis Perkins has the same at £12.66

Cheers,
Kev