AOTM October 2010 - Ema Kelly

Started by sparrow, September 30, 2010, 04:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Ema Kelly

I first got hooked on glass making in 2003 as part of my degree in Design Crafts.  It was really glass blowing that I took to at first despite my fears of maybe falling into the furnace! But then Diana East came in to teach some lampworking classes at University, which really excited me as I had done a lot of research into glass making as an art form and come across her work and instantly loved it. So the idea of this brilliant artist coming to teach us was great. I watched intently and made countless notes on what processes were done, when and what tools were used. This teamed with me being 'annoyingly coordinated' (my friends' words, not mine!) meant that I picked lampworking up relatively quickly.
Time in the hot shop wasn't always available, so lampworking allowed me to try out ideas for colours and patterns on a small scale before being able to put them onto a bigger piece made from the furnace. Lampworking also allowed me to experiment with molten glass more than I might have done if I was just glass blowing. I loved how I could transfer techniques between the two disciplines.

I started lampworking regularly while I was studying at the International Glass Centre, Brierly Hill, in 2007/08. This course was great for me and I learned so much about all aspects of glass making during my time there as well as being allowed to experiment with the material. At the end of the year I was awarded the Plowden and Thompson Award for Best Interpretation of Glass Quality, which really gave me the boost I needed to start working towards setting up my own business as a glass maker.
Now I'm making most days on Bernard (Berny) my Minor Burner, with Rusty my oxy con, and Barbie my lovely pink kiln.

I got a good part of my knowledge from Di East while I was at Uni, but I've also taken masterclasses with Sarah Hornik, Claudia Trimbur-Pagel, Michi Suzuki, and Teresa Laliberte. I'm really looking forward to Astrid Riedel's class in a week too!

I admire Di East, of course. Her work is fantastically different from anyone else's, with great use of colour and form. Dora Schubert's pieces using precise stringer control are lovely, Claudia Trimbur-Pagel's designs are wonderfully whimsical and skilled, and Michi Suzuki is just incredibly skilled all round with her attention to detail and her elegant yet humorous designs. 

Like many other glass artists, I have a fascination for this solid liquid.  It has endless possibilities for design, and never fails to inspire me. Some days I just 'listen' to the glass and see where it takes me.
I am influenced by my surroundings and mood, which is why you will find that a lot of my work has a playful element to it.  The colours of glass available to work with are fantastic, and lend themselves very well to my cheerful designs. I love to create pieces that make people smile and that can brighten up a day. That's the best bit for me – seeing people smile when they see my work.

My work tends to be quite simple in design with bold colours. I do quite a bit of sculpturally based designs using minimal layers as opposed to complexity within a 'round' bead.
My insects and sweet pieces are usually the ones that I'm remembered for. This tends to lead to me being referred to as 'the bug lady' by small children at the shows I do.

With glass there's always something to learn. I'd like to start combining my lampworked components with more complex silver work, and working on doing larger more 'arty' beads involving cold working and copper foiling.
I'd also like to practise doing more abstract style beads, as I'm such a control freak I find it really hard to 'let go' and not worry that 'that spot's not quite the same as the rest' or 'I won't sleep tonight if I don't get this shape just right'. Yes, I'm a bit loopy in that respect...but maybe that's a good thing?

I think the bead I've become most attached to is my 'helix' bead that I made after taking Michi's masterclass. I had a go at it during her class, but wasn't happy that the detail wasn't straight. So I gave it another go at home, and after a couple of hours of twisty cane pulling and a very nervously shaky hand putting on the final encasing, managed to get a half decent finish on it. It's not my typical style, but I love making this sort of piece; the elegancy of the design, and the accuracy involved, that the canes alternated the whole way around instead of ending up with two of the same colour next to each other.

My inner child definitely comes through in my work. I'm a big kid anyway, but I love to make quirky things where I can let my over active imagination go nuts.

What are you currently working on?
At the moment it's a bit boring in terms on what I'm working on to be honest, not that I'm not enjoying it! I'm doing a lot of ordered work for galleries and shops, so I'm producing a lot of pieces from my ranges. I'm not really making that many new pieces or getting the chance to experiment unfortunately.  But at least it's keeping me busy!

Creative Leicestershire have awarded me with their Development Bursary Award, and I also won the Silver in Craft & Design's Selected Awards for the glass category this year (their next issue will have a feature about the awards in it). I was so excited to get these awards, and the smile's still not worn off.

I've been teaching quite a bit too which I really enjoy. I love getting more and more people addicted to glass making!  And I've just become the new glass tutor for the London Jewellery School as well, so I'm looking forward to getting more people hooked.

For all the latest pieces and news visit my website: www.duckinabucketdesigns.com

Shows:
5th - 6th November '10: Shire Hall Gallery Craft Fair, Stafford.
6th November '10 - 23rd January '11: Christmas Exhibition at The Bankfield Museum, Halifax.
11th November '10 - 2nd January '11: Christmas Exhibition at Rugby Art Gallery.
14th November '10: The Art Market , Holmfirth, West Yorkshire.
27th - 28th November '10: The Guildhall Christmas Craft Fair, Guildhall, Leicester.
11th December '10: Merge craft fair, Oundle, Peterborough.
3rd - 5th April 2011: British Craft Trade Fair, Harrogate, stand number 165.
15th April - 17th July: Craft & Design Selected Award Winners Exhibition, Ferrers Gallery, Leicestershire.
And check out http://www.tempestglassbeadexhibition.org/index.htm to find out where the Tempest Glass Bead exhibition's going to be next. (I have a piece in there)
Stockists:
Catmose Gallery, Cloud Cuckoo, Desiree Hope Gallery, Eisch Gallery, Manchester City Art Gallery, Pyramid Gallery, Southwesterly Gallery, Staaks, The Beetroot Tree Gallery
So for more shows/stockists and information please visit my website or facebook page.
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial