What's the pink all about?

Started by Kaz, September 30, 2010, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

Better help us get to the target quickly then Pat so we can go back to blue which was the general idea - we're not far off now!
Perhaps you have something you can auction? ;D
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

princess pink

I think we need to up the target again kaz! I've got a fundraising idea up my sleeve that I will either get up today or tomorrow or early next week after my dad's funeral which is Monday. Xxx

sparrow

Turning the forum back to blue doesn't mean the fundraising has to stop  ;D ;D
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Sarah

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on October 02, 2010, 07:17:25 AM
.... can I just say the pink forum colour makes me cringe every time I open it......

LOL Pat - I think you may have uncovered our cunning plan for raising more money  ;)

Sarah
xxx

mizgeorge

I'll probably be shouted down but can I just say the pink forum colour makes me cringe every time I open it. As autism runs in my family and not breast cancer, I support the National Autistic Society and some other charities such as the Lifeboats. Pink is not a favourite colour of mine, although  I have been known to make an occasional pink based bead with lots of other colours on top.

Sadly Pat, breast cancer is not something that just runs in families. It's the most common cancer in the UK now, with over 125 women a day diagnosed. I don't know anyone who hasn't had a friend, colleague or family member affected by it, and whilst my own family has also been lucky enough not to have been affected for over 3- years, I have a couple of very close friends going through treatment right now.

As the mother of a young daughter, there's already way too much pink in my life, and it's a colour I really don't like, but I'm delighted to see it every time I come onto the board as a reminder of how hugely proud I am to be part of such a fantastic fundraising effort by this amazing community.

Jolene

For those of you desperate to get back to being blue it is worth noting that we only have £27.00 left to raise before we go back to normality - colourwise - around here.....  :-*

Our FH Fund for Beast Cancer logo will stay up during the whole of October for Breast Cancer Awareness Month and there will be various fund raising events and projects from our wonderful forum members during the month of Octber and well in to November too. There is no upper limit to the amount of money we would like to raise, £500.00 is the minimum - and the pink is just a fun and shocking tactic to start to raise awareness, not the end to forum fund raising for this worthy cause. I am looking forward to seeing just how well we can do.....

Jo x

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: mizgeorge on October 02, 2010, 09:40:29 AM
I'll probably be shouted down but can I just say the pink forum colour makes me cringe every time I open it. As autism runs in my family and not breast cancer, I support the National Autistic Society and some other charities such as the Lifeboats. Pink is not a favourite colour of mine, although  I have been known to make an occasional pink based bead with lots of other colours on top.

Sadly Pat, breast cancer is not something that just runs in families. It's the most common cancer in the UK now, with over 125 women a day diagnosed.
Have a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11206009 George for some info on the genetic links of breast cancer and the BRAC1 gene which is involved in early onset breast cancer, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRCA1. Also look at http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/cancercontroversies/hairdyes/ which gives info on possible links of some cancers to hair dyes.
The friend who looked after my children whilst I worked in London had two of her three children die with early onset cancer, one of whom was a staff nurse at the time. My mother , aged 66, died 26 years ago of ovarian cancer which also has genetic links. She was mis diagnosed by the hospital for 18 months who insisted on treating her for a duodenal ulcer and only diagnosed the cancer when she was too ill and took to her bed. I was three months pregnant with my third child at the time and 7 months pregnant when she died. Her abdomen was bigger than mine while the rest of her was skeletal. Because of the genetic link, the hospital gives me a routine scan every few years to see if I develop the condition.

Kaz

We're just £7 short of our target now!!!
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

bluefairy

Yay, another milestone reached!!! Well done everyone xx
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

princess pink

Pat I think what George is saying is that although genetics does play a part most cases of breast cancer are not genetic. This is a fact which is why there is a national screening programme. Environment plays a huge part in the development of all cancers.

Yay to only £7 off target kaz!!

Kaz

Fan-bloomin-tastic!!!! well done everyone - we're keeping this running for the whole of October and November to get more cash in from auctions, challenges etc.
Normal blue service will be resumed shortly!!!
Thank you all!
Kazx

Zeldazog

Congratulations everybody on hitting the target so quickly, but lets not stop there, eh?

We've reached it so quickly a lot of us haven't had chance to do anything yet!  I'm having a (pink) think as to what I can put up for fund-raising, it might be one of the bowls, but I might go pink this time!

jammie

Just wondering about putting my strawberry heart up for auction and how to go about it, what do you think, I'm not sure how and whether to as if it would be something people would bid on or whatever but if someone is already putting something together i would like to put this up!
Oh ...it's here!  :)
http://www.etsy.com/listing/41809691/

noora

I'm glad the blue is back, but I decided I can't rest on my laurels just because someone else already filled the meter ;)

Having survived cancer (not breast cancer though), I'm eternally grateful for every penny that has ever been donated to medical research. I know exactly how important this can be. I don't have much money at the moment, but I can afford ₤5. It's a few rods of glass. A lunch in town. You won't even get a movie ticket in Stockholm for that. I'll melt some shorties together, eat before I go to town next time and borrow a DVD from a friend. Or live on oatmeal and beans for a week if that's what it takes.