AOTM May 2010 - Trudi Doherty

Started by sparrow, April 28, 2010, 06:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Trudi Doherty

Like many others, I started off making jewellery. Belonging to an online group there were regular swaps, and someone sent me some lampwork beads – WOW (my first steps in to the world of lampwork had begun). And it was strange because they were impossible to categorize as they came in so many colours, shapes and sizes – it took me a while to take this in – before everything had a place, in my mind at least

Before I bought my kit, I wanted to have a look first hand to see what this lampworking was all about, so I went to see Rob Jonson for a demonstration. I came away knowing that this was for me and set about ordering a kit!

Not quite my first beads, but very early ones. With the first ones I was over the moon just to get the glass on the mandrel!

Over the past 3 years, I have been very fortunate to have had a few lessons. The first lesson I had was with the gorgeous Lorna Prime, our very own Pixiewillow. I was really struggling with encasing, I found that the books weren't helping me – but a short time with Lorna and I was sorted!

In May 2008, I'd hit a brick wall. I didn't want to give up, so I booked a day with Sally Carver and had a ball, and I left re-focused (and with sore sides from laughing) She told me about  GBUK & British  Lampwork, encouraging me to look into joining. I looked at the wonderful beads by the members and thought – yeah right. Now I'm a member of both!

Sarah Hornik's ClassFrom the left Sarah, Sal, Me & Mags

Deep concentration! Later on that year I heard that Sarah Hornik was coming to the Di East's studio – I scrapped together enough to do 2 days on the Silver Secrets and Glass, Glitter & Gravity course – again I had a fabulous time, learning so much and meeting more lampworkers! (Sal was there too) Shortly after that in November the new Red Hot Minx course was announced, combining lampwork with PMC (Sal again!) – and if that wasn't enough to tempt me, there was a chocolate fountain and a lifesize cut out of Johnny Depp. Again, I learned so much there and left totally inspired – and I still use the information I learned!!  I can't recommend enough how great these courses/lessons are – not only for the course content, but to be able to meet fellow lampworkers is priceless. You come away learning more than you bargained for and with a group of new friends. If you're not able to get on a course, there are many regional get togethers being organised. Find one close to you and get involved.

There are so many talented bead makers out there that I look out for I'm not going to name names because the list is so long! But I have to say that above all, I admire those who are willing to share tips and hints with others, and those who get involved even when they're a little unsure. It brings out the best in the rest of us and reminds us that you can give us all the same glass and tools, even instructions and we'll all create something different. There's strength in numbers!

I can remember reading Passing The Flame not long after I started lampworking. I saw that Corrina had made these wonderful Tiger beads, and I thought I'd never be able to make such complex beads – all encased and the same size. Last year I re-read the book and decided to have a go, adding in goldstone and making them round – and what do you know – I can do it!

There are so many places to find inspiration. Sometimes I see some colours in a magazine, or a dress on Strictly Come Dancing, and think that they'd look nice together – right, how do I make that into a bead .........But here on FH is the best inspiration of all, and it comes from all angles. It can be dot placement , or a technique (some from beginners, it's not always from the more experienced!). I've also found the challenges to be inspirational, even if it's something you think you can't do, or think it's not really your cup of tea, if you have a go you stretch yourself and in the meantime you enjoy taking part and seeing other peoples contributions too!

I used to think that shards were a waste of time – I couldn't think how to use them or make them look good on a bead – but after having a few goes, I changed my mind – and now I have another dimension I can add to my beads. Even if you don't like everything about someones's style or bead, you can still draw inspiration from elements and develop that into your own technique.

Brave New World
These look a little like maps, but the brave comes from learning to use shards!

Fresh back from Flame Off – and every second was inspirational. And not just from the demos, but from talking  - everyone has a different angle and it really was so refreshing! I actually didn't go to all the demo's on the Saturday as my head was already buzzing with so many ideas!

I find it difficult to say if I have a signature bead – as I think that my style is constantly evolving. That said, I'll tell you about my time with Fyrebirds – I used to share a stall at fairs with Colette (Dragonfire Glass) and Shirley Giles. We would lay out the table with a rainbow theme, so all our beads were mixed in. Customers would come along and 99% of the time if they picked up 3 or 4 sets to look at, they would all made by just one of us, even if the sets were all quite different! So there must be something about our own styles that we don't always see!

For a while I was obsessed with making hollows, lots of hollows in bright colours!

There are so many ideas that I'd like to try out, and in the coming months I'd like to be more experimental with silver glass. I also want to try my hand at mixing up and layering colours, see where it leads me!

Along the way, there have been a few beads I've been proud of, for different reasons – all individual achievements. I was particularly pleased with my 1950's Sophistication beads, as I'd made my own murrini, applied them to the beads, and got some nice dot placement – I was really pleased with the overall look of them.

1950's Sophistication Beads
I had been following the murrini challenge, and had a go at making my own – and used them in this set.

I do tend to learn towards bright colours and sparkly bits  – I'm still a child at heart and can't help myself. As soon as I get the goldstone out I use it in a lot of beads!

Autumn Tumble– inside are swirls of goldstone, decorated with bright colours!

Just recently, I've been experimenting more with silver glass. Up to now I've been quite reserved, and I guess a little scared. No more – I need to push myself a little bit. I keep reading the posts everyone puts up – and often going back to the older ones time after time, and at last, something seems to have clicked. Part of that's due to time and understanding glass, and also not being afraid to use a little more of it, and experimenting. No matter how much I read from other's tips, sometimes you really do discover how a glass works for you when you least expect it!  

While I may have been getting some colours before, it was with smaller beads and  a little hit and miss. Fingers crossed (who knows – a new batch could be different) but I seem to  have made friends with Clio – I now need to apply the same logic with other silver glass – let's see if it works!

Clio shells - I got deep the deep purples I was after!

I can be found all over the web, including the following places
My website www.glitteringprize.co.uk on Etsy www.etsy.com/shop/shineon2 on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glittering-Prize/24977313436?ref=ts (new fans always welcome!).  And some of my made up jewellery can be found at the Tea Rooms in Rockingham, Leicestershire (see my website for details).

These were made following Sal's tutorial in Beads & Beyond. I'd made hollows before, but not Vessels – and I really enjoyed these!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial