How Long does propane last

Started by puffin, April 21, 2010, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puffin

Does anyone know how long a 19kg propane lasts, only asking as I live on an island and it might be worth me getting another propane as a back if i run out.

Stacey

A Little Love Goes A Long Way

www.sillymooz.blogspot.com

♥♥Tan♥♥

Depends how long you run it for each day/week, its kind of how long is a piece of string question, it certainly wouldn't hurt you to have  a spare though

helbels

I found that a 3.9kg propane tank lasted me about a month, which is torching about 2 hours a day, probably around 4-5 times a week.  That was on a Hothead though - dual fuel torches use much less propane.

Dragonfire Glass

13 kg lasts me about 4 months with about 6 - 12 hours a week.

puffin

Thanks , it is like how long is a piece of string, husband is moaning now saying i have nicked the space and it costs a fortune to get a new one instead of just a fill up. GRRRRRRRR moan moan if it was for him there would be no moaning. we have the really large one for the hob in the kitchen.  :-\ :-\ :o
Stacey

Helen G

Quote from: puffin on April 21, 2010, 07:29:48 PM
Thanks , it is like how long is a piece of string, husband is moaning now saying i have nicked the space and it costs a fortune to get a new one instead of just a fill up. GRRRRRRRR moan moan if it was for him there would be no moaning. we have the really large one for the hob in the kitchen.  :-\ :-\ :o
Try a recycling centre for a second tank, my local one always has loads.

puffin

Ummm recycling up here ?????? they do skips not sure if they have recycling up here I think it gets moved over to mainland scotland / uk for that . But I will enquire.

They do the bottle banks on the island but as for the whole recycling boxes or bins that get collected, there is none of that up here or not on our island anyway. 

Stacey

Krysia@No98

I have just finished my first 13kg tank and that was exactly (shuffles of quickly to work it out...) 81 hours and 32 minutes

(Blimey I didn't realise it had been that long)

Though you really shouldn't count the 90 minutes because it wasn't really melting the glass
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

puffin

80 hrs thats good isn't it,  so if i did it 4 hrs a session and not every day it might last 3 / 4 weeks so once a month, god he wont be happy at that, but i shall say to him " look at my smiley face  ::) " " i moved at this way for you  :P " " i need something to do up here  :-\ " and when hes off isle i need a back up man to fix it together when i run out , as hes done it up that tight .  :o
Stacey

Dragonfire Glass

If supply is a problem, just get the biggest one you can afford

Krysia@No98

are you on a hot head?  I have heard that a duel fuel torch will last longer (if you need to justify upgrading  ;D )
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Mary

Yep, dual fuel lasts way longer. My first 13kg tank lasted 6 months.

puffin

i wanted the biggest they did, husband said no !!!! no cost just afraid of me and propane i think , he wanted me to have the smallest so managed the 19kg no higher , i have a duel fuel so lets hope .

I just have to get a ferry over to the mainland so a days trip out , not open weds afternoon , sat afternoon or sunday it is the 1970's all over again :P ;D
Stacey

Ian Pearson

You in Shetland Stacey? I am in Caithness and used to have problems with supplies, some treat us as an island. Could you not get propane delivered, cost would be balanced against time getting it yourself and I thought one needed a special licence to transport compressed/liquid gases. I use two "B" sizes. Last amonth or so and always have a back up.

Ian

Trudi

Hi Stacey

It will last you a while - I have a 19kg tank and it lasts forever (well months anway)!  Have a look about and see if you can get one on freecycle or similar - you have a little time to play with so don't panic.

If push came to shove, you could get a smaller one that you could have on standby - or you could even take a trolley and wheel it on to the ferry (guess it depends where the place is in relation to the ferry!)