Everything you wanted to know about CLEANING YOUR BEADS

Started by SilverGems89, January 13, 2010, 11:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enchanted Cobwebs

Hmmm something else I need to add to the 'I need this' list. I didnt know I needed it but I do now as I really dont like cleaning beads!
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

Pandanimal

I will definitely let you know how it gets on! Fingers crossed I will be able to take "hand cleaned of all bead release" off my listings from now on.

Enchanted Cobwebs

replace it with thoroughly cleaned using ultrasound and carefully inspected!  ;D
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

Pandanimal

Ok. Sorry every one but it doesn't work. Not the one I got any way. it gets a very little off but I will still need to hand clean. I used warm water and washing up liquid and warm water and the sea clean fluid.  :'(
Glynn what bead release do you use? Maybe that makes a difference? I use fusion from Tufnalls. Maybe I can use it for cleaning CDs!

Madam Steph

Thanks, Anouk.
I've just been and bought some :)

Linda x

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Troll Lover on October 17, 2011, 01:59:31 PM
I use this stuff: http://www.etsy.com/listing/80000158/jocks-beadrelease-remover-50-gram?ref=sr_list_7&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags&ga_search_query=jocks&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

And get clean holes like this:

Is that like the graphite grit?  I've some of that but made more of a mess than I would with the battery reamer.  Perhaps doing it on the sofa whilst I watch TV isn't the best idea  ::) [I think that's the translation for what DH said!].

Quote from: Pandanimal on October 17, 2011, 12:17:15 PM
Ok. Sorry every one but it doesn't work. Not the one I got any way. it gets a very little off but I will still need to hand clean. I used warm water and washing up liquid and warm water and the sea clean fluid.  :'(
Glynn what bead release do you use? Maybe that makes a difference? I use fusion from Tufnalls. Maybe I can use it for cleaning CDs!

I guess, without spending a lot on the kind of machine Glynn has, it's just too good to be true for us.  Back to the bead remaer :(
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Pandanimal

Time for an update on the ultra sonic cleaner.
I carried on using it over and over on my beads to see if it just needed longer to get out the release. after about 15 cycles of 480 seconds (The longest setting available on the machine) some of the beads were clean. Mostly the ones with the largest 6mm holes. So kept on going, putting a few in and running it every time I passed it and taking out any that were clean. The last time I used it it started making a funny noise so I turned it off and the water inside had got hotter. There is no heater with the machine though. Oh dear. the water inside wasn't agitating either. So I am sending it back to Cooksons for a refund.
The question in my mind now, of course, is was it faulty from the beginning and so not cleaning properly right from the start?
Not a very useful experiment I'm afraid. Sorry.

Krysia@No98

-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Glassy Lou

Aw and I was hoping your experiment would be successful, thus ending hours of leaning over the sink for me cleaning beads by hand.  :'(
Thanks for reporting back though.

Pat from Canvey

I stick the bead reamer bit in a small electric hand held drill and clean with that. Each large bead takes about 10 seconds if that. Dip only the reamer in water, not up to the collett, and dip the bead in water too.

Krysia@No98

thinking about it today as I was cleaning beads.  There is a sanity check that happens with the dremal that most likely would not be as 'stringent' carried out in a sonic tank...  The vibration test.  Lets face it if the bead can cope with the dremel then it's going to cope with anything after that

Pandanimal

I think the sonic tank presents quite a lot of vibration. If it had cleaned well I was gona stick a bead in that I knew had a hair line crack in it to see if it fell apart from the sonics but as it turned out I never got that far. I have to say though that the large 6 mm hole beads did clean up lovely in the end. 

Krysia@No98

interesting...  There was one sitting in the local charity shop on Saturday.  I very nearly bought it.  Might go back next weekend

Purple Cobwebs

Oh dear. I've read, reread, and reread this post over the last couple of days, as I hate cleaning my beads!!!! I've always had a huge dislike of files, so cleaning my beads has always resulted in lots of running water to disguise the sound of the bead reamer!!!!
Well, tonight, after looking at the 35 beads made over the weekend, all awaiting cleaning, I decided to throw caution to the wind, flex my credit card, and I've ordered the super duper ultrasonic cleaner that Glyn refered to!!!!

So, here's hoping it works  :D

Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Krysia@No98