Everything you wanted to know about CLEANING YOUR BEADS

Started by SilverGems89, January 13, 2010, 11:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverGems89

I was wondering what tools everyone would recommend for cleaning bead release off? either the diamond bead reamer available from tuffnells or would a dremel set up be better?

Gemma
x

ThermalShock

Suppose it depends on how many you are going to be doing and whether or not you have the patience to sit and do them.  I just use the diamond bead reamer from Tuffnells, and do it all by hand in a bowl of water.  Can be time consuming, but works well.

Jude
My one fear is that when I die, my husband will find out what I really spent on glass!!

Shirley

I like to use the reamer because it is quiet. Much better when I'm sat watching tv and cleaning at the same time.

I've got a dremel too, and it's definitely quicker, but so noisy! I use it when I've been lazy about cleaning neads and have got to get them done. :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

noora

I like the bead core scraper set from Warm Glass. Also, after I changed bead release it has been a lot easier. The one I use now doesn't need much more than water and a pipe cleaner, while my old bead release required a long soak in water and still only came off with a diamond reamer or the bead core scrapers.

SilverGems89

noora what bead release are you using now? i'll go take a look at the set from warm glass too!

Tracy

I use Beady Sams grits, no sore fingers from stabbing with the reamer either  ;D

chocolateteapot

I use these drill bits from warm glass that i jsut put in my drill. I love them and the smaller ones are tiny enough for the really slim bead holes.

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=952

They have flat ends too so they dont hurt when u drill your self.
Tracy x
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

chocolateteapot

Sorry forgot to add that you must do it in water or you will crack your bead and spoil your drill bit....I know you are new so i wasnt sure how much you knew..hope i havent insulted you  ;)

Tracy x
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

Dizzy Di

I use Jocks grits,
Take bead off mandrel place in warm water.
Dip end of mandrel in water then into jocks.
Clean inside the bead clean with mandrel.
rinse bead in clean water job done.
Have not seen Beady Sam's grits but would guess they work the same.

Dianne ::)

SilverGems89

Quote from: chocolateteapot on January 13, 2010, 11:35:08 PM
Sorry forgot to add that you must do it in water or you will crack your bead and spoil your drill bit....I know you are new so i wasnt sure how much you knew..hope i havent insulted you  ;)

Tracy x

Absolutely not Tracy, everything is totally new to me, i don't even think i can be classed as a newbie im that bad :P Should be ordering my set up from tuffnells next week though  ;D so excited!

Dianne, where do you get jocks grits from?

llewennog

Dirty Louis user here, awsome bead release, drop the bead into water and remove the mandrel pulling the mandrel removes the release, if there's a tiny bit left then I just ream out with the mandrel! Its even easier with boro beads the release cleans off when you pull the bead off the mandrel, no need for water!

MangoBeads

I have some grit too  ;D if that helps .... going on site this PM
www.mangobeads.co.uk

★★Terri★★

Manda

Looked on you site and couldn't find the listing for grits.  Where abouts are they?

Everyone else

Tried Beady Sam site but it's closed.  What are Jocks grits and where do you get them from?  Googled Dirt Louis and no joy other than a video of someone using it.

noora

Quote from: SilverGems89 on January 13, 2010, 01:23:09 PM
noora what bead release are you using now? i'll go take a look at the set from warm glass too!

I use some sort of runny grey stuff that I bought from a local glass and ceramics supplier. I think it's their main supplier's own mix, since it didn't have any specific brand name (it just said "bead release"). The one i used before was a blue thick stuff from Sundance Art Glass in the US.

SilverGems89

Manda i looked on your site but didnt see grits either, although your annealing bubbles caught my eye  ;D

For now i guess i will be using whatever bead release it is you get from tuffnells with their set ups, but if anyone knows any better ones for the future that would be great! Theres so much choice out there, my head is swimming  :o