AOTM January 2010 - Kate Sullivan

Started by sparrow, January 02, 2010, 09:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Kate Sullivan

In 2006 a little bead shop opened in a nearby village, I was instantly drawn to all its sparkly delights, the magpie in me was ignited and I quickly developed a preference for the many Murano and imported lampwork beads it had to offer. Later that year on a family holiday to Cornwall yet another gem of a shop was discovered in Mevagissey where there was a small selection of beautiful handmade lampwork beads on display, that was the start of my obsession. Many months of internet surfing and watching of you tube clips ensued, and many books were purchased on the art of beadmaking, I sensed a new hobby was on the horizon.

In early 2007 I set off to the Harrogate Bead Fair, cash in hand with the specific intention of visiting Martin Tufnell's stall and purchasing myself the beadmaking starter kit I spent months hovering over on his website. Once I had it in my hand I couldn't wait to get home, and within an hour of getting back I had my hot head and MAP gas set up in the kitchen. I waited for the kids to go to sleep and tentatively lit the torch, frightening myself half to death in the process, and made my first bead, I was totally hooked. The kitchen and my life soon became overrun with all things lampworking and soon I was relocated to an old brick shed in the garden.

My first beads:

I haven't had any lessons, but I've promised myself at least one in 2010.

There are a lot of amazing artists I admire, I love the sculptural work of Julie Ann Denton, the amazing detailed designs of Dora Schubert and Mindy Macgregor, the precision of Larry Scott, the ethereal and focal beads by Claire Morris and many more.

Some times I get inspiration from specific things like a picture, a colour combination or the seasons but usually I just go with the flow and wherever my mood takes me. I generally grab a few rods, more often than not some silver glass and see what happens, there's rarely a plan,I get inspired by the glass itself or a reaction and then I run with it. I do keep a notebook and as ideas pop up I race for a pen and jot them down for future reference, or for when I feel a bit lost.

I don't have a signature bead but I do use a lot of silver glass, mostly encased and I do love to make sets, I think that's what a lot of people have come to associate me with.

I would love to learn how to make marbles, the type you get lost in and also explore sculptural work off mandrel. I've had a dabble and allowed myself some 'play' time with borosilicate rods and tubes, it's a bit like my new hobby where beads have become a business if that makes sense.

Sculptural Adventures – Penguins:

I'm really looking forward to 2010, I'm finally becoming more confident about my work, very much helped along by the overwhelming support and encouragement from many of my FHF and Flickr pals. Happy new Year to one and all, may it be healthy, happy and filled with glassy loveliness

I predominantly sell my beads though my website www.sublimebeads.co.uk, and this year I will be found mostly chatting but also selling beads at the Flame Off, Towcester Bead Fair and the Stourbridge Bead Fair later in the year.

Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial