AOTM August 2009 - Emma Baird

Started by sparrow, July 30, 2009, 09:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Emma Baird

I came across bead making before I had my son. I was making beaded jewellery and wanted to make my work stand out above the rest. I was thrilled when I discovered lampwork beads on a Beading forum, and began to buy them incorporating them into my jewellery.

I became truly fascinated by these beads and after a while I was desperate to try my hand at making them. I bought myself a hot head and a starter kit from Martin at Tuffnells in December 06 and set up on my kitchen table. My first bead ever was a little blue fella ! It was like my baby!!

I learned from books - but was taken away from my torch a little when my mum opened our business in February 2007. I went and got qualified as a Senior Art Clay Instructor and we opened The Little Bead Shop in Edinburgh. Much of that year saw me focus on my metal clay work, which is now an equal part of what I do.

After being so focused on the shop and so on I promised myself more time for beading. I hit the torch again some time late 2007 and put in as many hours as I could. I made mostly organic beads and began to feel a little frustrated and stuck. I made a wise choice and booked on a course with Sarah Hornik in the summer of 2008. I had the most amazing time, met great people and made lasting friends. I also made some beads :) (I'm the blond bottom left with the stupid look on her face)...  

I still greatly admire Sarah Hornik not only for her technical ability but for her truly creative spirit! I admire a huge number of lampworkers, too many mention, but here's a few - Mindy McGregor, Laura Sparling, Kristina Logan, Dora Schubert, Andrea Guarino-Slemmons, Vickie Hallmark, Lisa Atchison, Sally Carver, Lesley McFarland .....and the glorious beads of Isabelle Anderson whose beads were the first I ever bought.  

My inspiration comes from all sorts of places, traveling to Istanbul last year influenced a lot of both my metal clay and beading work. I also like to look at pretty wrapping papers, wallpapers and textiles.

I'm not sure If I have a signature style  - but lately I think people may recognize my work on account of it being bright, pink and dotty! Or my pansy beads - they may be recognized too but I wouldn't call them a signature style. Oh - and my bead rings. I'd be happy if anyone thought of these as signature "beads" or "pieces" but I still have way too much to learn to have found my style.      

After working on dots for so long I've come full circle and want to learn to make organic and "free" beads again!! I  am also desperate to lean stringer control - its always evaded me and this year I am determined to crack it. Electroforming is also on my list - as is the technique behind the incredible beads by Vickie Hallmark....oh and I REALLY want to spend more time on Boro beads... sigh ... the list goes on and on!!

In June I was really chuffed as one of my all time favorite sets of beads made the cover of the magazine "Making Jewellery". I loved these beads and was thrilled to see that somebody else liked them too! I am also really proud of what I call my Ruby jewel beads. And of course the beads that came runner up in the Beads and Beyond Competition. I cant deny I'm proud of those!        

Currently life is busy and a juggling act - especially as its the summer holidays! In between entertaining my 4 year old I'm working on magazine tutorials, metal clay work to submit to publications in the USA and STRINGER CONTROL lol!

My beads are often for sale on our web site-  www.artclayscotland.com and they will be on the shop floor too (if I've any to sell). Our Little Bead Shop goes to the Scottish Bead Fair in Perth twice a year too where I'll often take some sets with me.

If you are ever up our neck of the woods pop by and say hello :)  

Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial