Show me your glass storage ideas

Started by princess pink, April 09, 2009, 08:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedinglass

Quote from: SallyB on November 30, 2009, 10:50:53 PM
I feel a bit like I've dug a hole though and am chucking money in it!
One day I will get it sorted so it's cosy but I've only been going a year and have already ended up with a shed in the garden and more glass than I really "need" which I'm very grateful for.
Sally

I know that feeling all too well!!!! ;)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

SallyB

I've got two layers of Beady Sam's really good fibre blanket wrapped in foil.
I don't think I'm going to get a kiln for a very long time unless I get lucky in a raffle I'm in that draws in January!

Sally

mazmeabead

What about those annealing bubbles (or whatever we want to call em) that Mango Beads and Tillerman Beads are selling - they sound really good! 

Thinking about getting some myself for when I have a little session not worth turning on and waiting for Kiln...

Maz
Maz x

Margram

I got one of Beady Sam's 'body soluble' fibre blankets recently and have found it
quite liberating! I can bead in the odd spare hour without feeling I'm wasting the
heat of the kiln. :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Redkite

Hi!

I used to worry about using my kiln for short sessions and wasting electricity, but it really doesn't cost that much to run a cycle - just a few pence! I use a garaging/annealing cycle that starts by heating on full to get up to temperature. I turn it on, then go into the kichen to make a cup of coffee and it's up to temperature by the time I get back! (I also switch on the heater and that actually costs about 5 times as much as the kiln!!)

I've just realised I haven't posted a pic of my glass store (well, it is what the thread is about, after all!!!). Here it is:

It's an IKEA bookshelf and some cut up drainpipe. Since the photo I have also labelled all the tubes with one of those mini label printers. Sad, I know, but it's handy when you realise only one or two rods in each bundle are labelled. I am toying with the idea of writing down the colours I play with each session, so I can go back and reproduce any particularly nice colour combinations.

jammie

what did you use to cut your pipe then, it looks so neat, my OH cut with an electric saw but mines are higgley piggley compared to yours?

Krysia@No98

I cut my black plastic pipe with a hack saw.  This has given slightly rough edges.  Then for the white plastic pipe I cut it with a Mitre saw I bought from B&Q about 8 years ago.  It was only £10 and has been very useful for other stuff too.  This is the one

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9372618&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB&fh_search=mitre+saw&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1265052608845&isSearch=true

(sorry its gone up a little)

But the great think is that you can set it at the exact angle that you want!!  The white tubes have a much better finish and when I come to cut more everything is ready and waiting
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Redkite

Yes, I used a mitre saw too. I picked up a really cheap one from Jewsons (I think it was £15 or so). It took a long time and got a bit wobbly by the time I'd finished, but did the job OK and the 45 degree angle at the front looks smart and helps more light to shine on the glass, so you can see the colour easier.