bottled oxygen vs oxycon

Started by decodragonfly, January 05, 2009, 10:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decodragonfly

Hi,
I'm trying to work out best set up with a nortel minor, I have the regulators for both propane and oxygen, however I thought I needed a two stage regulator for oxygen, but I have been told a single stage one is fine for lampwork....I am wondering about returning the oxygen regulator and looking at an oxycon set up. I will have fairly restricted torch time and wondered whether oxycon will be more convenient.Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks   

Josephine

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10061.0
Here is a link to an earlier thread. Personally I think you will find and oxycon easier and cheaper especially if you don't have a permenant home for your lampworking set up. There are more safety considerations with bottled oxygen.

Soo

I don't have regulators at all for my Carlisle Mini, I just have a flashback arrestor for my propane which came with Tuffnell Glass's bulk kit - I'd be interested in knowing what the advantages of having regulators are?

Oxygen tanks scare the life out of me, they need to be stored securely and safely outside (and no oil must get near them, even oil from your fingers is a "no-no" apparently - oil and oxygen is explosive). I have a refurbished oxycon from Martin at Tuffnell Glass and it's marvellous.

Redhotsal

I'm really not convinced that you can use a single stage regulator for any bottled oxy, including lampworking, though I'm sure someone will enlighten me on that. I'd be careful though and get a second opinion.

I'm very PRO the oxycon as you are not using the gas at high pressure, it is slightly safer and a heck of a lot more convenient. And cheaper in the long run.

You don't need a regulator for an oxycon but you do need a (single stage) regulator for your propane, 0-4 bar is the usual type. You DO need flashback arrestors on both propane and oxy lines if running from tanks (bottles) although you'll find that your oxy flashback will probably stop the oxycon from functioning properly so oxycons are usually supplied without them. It is generally considered that with the lower pressure this is an acceptable solution.

There is an argument that most beadmaking torches, because they are surface mix torches, are very unlikely to cause a flashback and so in theory you don't need the arrestors but I feel that for the sake of a couple of flashback arrestors (About £50) you may as well be as safe as possible.

Soo is correct that you must avoid any organic substance contacting oxygen because of the increased possibility of flash explosions. "Organic Substance" covers a large range of items, including the silicone found in PTFE tape, which is why it shouldn't be used in the threads of the oxygen fittings, but it generally refers to grease, oils and so on. Oxygen can also soak into fabrics if allowed to leak and render them highly flammable, even though oxygen by itself is not flammable.

You will be paying £250 for an oxycon which should provide you with at least two years of hassle free oxygen and usually a lot more. They are pretty easy to fix if and when they do go wrong. You are generally paying around £80-100 to hire an oxygen cylinder per year. This will cost £15-20 to "refill" and if you have it delivered it is going to be £30 minimum so you can see how cost effective the oxycon argument is in the long haul.

However, you don't need an electrical supply for the bottled oxy.

Redhotsal

Quote from: Soo on January 05, 2009, 10:24:58 PM
I don't have regulators at all for my Carlisle Mini, I just have a flashback arrestor for my propane which came with Tuffnell Glass's bulk kit - I'd be interested in knowing what the advantages of having regulators are?

Soo - are you SURE you haven't got a regulator on your propane line? It will look like a big black kitchen tap and should be fitted as soon as your line comes out of the propane cylinder. The regulator controls the pressure that the gas is supplied to the torch, so I'd be quite suprised that your torch is working properly without one???

Soo

Oh, yes, I have one of those, sorry.  ::)

I thought a regulator would have readings on it like a gauge of some kind with readings to show the pressure.  I just thought the big black tap was for turning it on and so I've always just turned it all the way and then use the tap on the torch to control the amount of propane and now I'm wondering if that is right. Also still interested to know if a regulator for oxycon is a good idea.

(Apologies for the hijack!)

Ian Pearson

I use two stage regulators as this helps maintain good steady flow but then my work demands it. I have no experience of oxycon. Using cylinders can be perfectly safe but bear in mind manual handling issues. As for turning propane regulator fully down, this means full pressure is running through hoses and increasing risks. I would have thought you wouldnt need so much pressure from propane. Trying turning it different amounts to see what effect it has. Flash back arrestors are a must for compressed gases.

Ian

decodragonfly

Thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to go down the oxycon route. Soo I've spoken to few people today and just seen       sal's earlier reply, who have all said you don't need a regulator with oxycon. This is a fantastic place, I'm learning so much!

Soo